The Colonial Inn, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, warmly welcomes all guests. However, due to the historic significance of our 1890’s grand hotel, our Ogunquit, Maine inn is not completely wheelchair or scooter accessible. Removal of necessary physical barriers for complete accessibility is not readily achievable as such removal would threaten or destroy the historic significance of the property.
We do offer ADA accommodations in our Main Inn as shown below. Although significant attention has been made so that all guests can enjoy our historic 1890’s grand hotel, our efforts continue.
For special accommodation needs, please call us directly at (207) 646-5191 so we can help you determine the best guest room to ensure you have a comfortable arrival and enjoyable stay.
- First Floor ADA Accessible Room This room is located on the first floor of the main Inn and features beautiful original hardwood floors, a comfortable king bed, a cozy sitting area and private bath with roll-in shower, shower bench and hand-held shower-head as well as a roll under sink. This room offers more turnaround space in the bathroom and more open space in the bedroom.
- This room also offers the security of strobe lights activated via the fire alarm.
- Strobe lights activated via the fire alarm are located throughout the Main inn.
Entry to the Main Inn
- We have an old-style lift that is operated manually that can move guests from ground level onto The Main Inn Wrap-around porch.
- We have one designated handicapped parking space.
Barriers of Accessibility:
The Main Inn
- The Main building is the only building that has an elevator. However, the elevator is quite small and has limited space to accommodate a large wheelchair or scooter.
- We have one ADA compliant room in the Main Inn (see below) All other rooms in the Main Inn are suitable for those with limited disabilities and are not ADA compliant. The beds are higher and include tub/shower combos and/or step in-showers. Rooms #204 and #304 have grab bars installed in the bath area.
The Shorebirds Building
- The Shorebirds Building has two levels, with stair access only.
- There is no elevator or lift.
- Bottom level rooms have minimal steps and offer bathtubs and no grab bars.
- Room 622 in the Shorebirds Building can be listed as suitable for those with limited disabilities however it is not ADA compliant.
The Beach Rose Building
- The Beach Rose Building has two lower-level rooms with steps for entry.
- There is no elevator or lift to the upper-level rooms.
- Beach Rose rooms 501 and 502 are accessible for those with limited disabilities that do not require the use of a wheelchair or scooter. Both rooms require a step to get into the room. Room 501 also has an additional step to access the master bedroom and kitchen area. The bath includes a tub/shower combination.
The Garden Grove Building
- Our Garden Grove Building upper-level rooms are accessible by stairs only.
- The ground level rooms in our Garden Grove Building have a step to navigate onto the porch from the parking lot and a step to access the rooms. Bathrooms are very small, contain tub/shower combos, no grab bars and the space is also small and carpeted.
- All rooms have various access points to parking areas with no steps. However, some access points include uneven brick steps for access to the Main Inn, pool or the Garden Grove Building,
Our goal is to ensure that anyone who wishes to visit The Colonial Inn can do so, regardless of their physical abilities. Among the ways we strive to comply with the ADA:
- We ensure that individuals with disabilities can make reservations during the same hours and in the same manner as individuals without disabilities.
- We have identified and described the features in our hotel and guest rooms in detail to allow individuals with disabilities to determine whether our Inn meets their needs.
- We guarantee that rooms, once reserved, are held for the reserving customer. We make reasonable efforts with third-party reservation systems to make all rooms available through at least some of these services and they must provide these third-party services with information concerning the features of the hotel and rooms.
- Guests with legitimate service animals as defined in the ADA will be provided access to all areas of the property afforded to those without service animals.
The Colonial Inn is committed to facilitating the accessibility and usability of this website for all people with disabilities. We will continue to implement the relevant portions of the World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Level AA (WCAG 2.0 AA) or such other standards as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). On a periodic basis, our website will be tested with assistive technology.
Please be aware that our efforts are ongoing. You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (207) 646-5191 anytime with questions or concerns regarding ADA accessibility issues, including issues accessing the website.