At the Colonial Inn, we’re passionate about our historic property and the beautiful surrounding area of Ogunquit, Maine. When you visit us, we always encourage you to ask about local activities and attractions right for you and your family. We want you to love the area as much as we do. This area of Maine offers numerous family friendly activities. If you’re looking for a way to spend the afternoon or the entire day, there are a few must-see attractions nearby to check out.
Marginal Way Is Perfect
For the scenic beach, visit the Marginal Way area. This historical area is a strip of beach area along the coast that’s perfect for the entire family. It’s somewhat smaller and hidden, less tourism-driven and far more personal. Bring the family along with some sand toys and splash away the warm summer day.
For an afternoon or evening out on the town, visit the Ogunquit Playhouse. It’s a local theater production house that features everything from local productions to Broadway shows. It’s fun, intimate, and perfectly suited for a cultural experience.
Visit the Museums!
Ogunquit, and surrounding area, has a number of fantastic museums for the entire family. Here are some our favorite recommendations:
- Old York Historical Society offers a nice look at the historical importance of the area.
- Children’s Museum of Portsmouth, a bit of a drive, provides an outstanding number of interactive displays for kids.
- Seashore Trolley Museum is a fun and hands-on type of museum with lots of trolleys and history to offer.
- Ogunquit Museum at the Winn House is something like stepping back in time. The kids will appreciate history coming alive.
- School House Division No. 9 is a fun stop for those who may never have experienced a one-room school house before.
There are various other museums in the area as well. Let our concierge know if you are looking for something specific.
Ogunquit has plenty of ‘alfresco’ activities available as well. Wonder Mountain is a mini-golf course and features an arcade. You can also check out York’s Wild Kingdom which is a combined amusement park and zoo. And, there’s always Funtown Splashtown, a waterpark and amusement park.
Are you still looking more fun things to do near Ogunquit? You can head out onto the water with a boating experience. Check out Excursions Kayaking, Finestkind Scenic Cruises, or World within Sea Kayaking for some fantastic experiences. Go for a walk in the Mount Agamenticus area or spend time at the Wells Reserve at Laudholm Farm.
When you stay at Colonial Inn, you’ll be minutes from all types of fun activities nearby. Are you ready to book your experience with us?