Accommodations and Lodging for Patriots Day Weekend at The Colonial Inn
One of Ogunquit’s major springtime festivals is coming up fast—and the Colonial Inn will be open in time to provide you with unbeatable downtown accommodations for it!
Our 2018 season here at the Colonial Inn kicks off on Friday, Apri 13th, so now’s the time to book your guest room or suite in the last of Ogunquit’s grand hotels for the town’s annual observance of Patriot’s Day.
Ogunquit’s Annual Patriot’s Day Celebration
Patriot’s Day—an official holiday here in Maine as well as in several other states—memorializes the inaugural shots of the American Revolution during the Battles of Lexington and Concord in April 1775.
The 27th edition of Ogunquit’s Patriot’s Day Celebration will fall April 21st through the 23rd, and as always will spread family-friendly activities and events all across town for the occasion.
Some of the Patriot’s Day Celebration Events
You can check out the complete itinerary for Patriot’s Day weekend over at the Ogunquit Chamber of Commerce website, but we’ll talk up a few highlights here:
- A variety of fun treasure hunts will take place throughout the weekend, including one centered around paper lanterns scattered among the businesses of Perkins Cove (and encoded with words you need to unscramble), and another inviting you to draw at least six of Ogunquit’s historical landmarks for the chance to win a prize. (The landmarks are the Ogunquit Memorial Library, the Ogunquit Heritage Museum, the Ogunquit Museum of American Art, the Ogunquit Playhouse, the Marginal Way Lighthouse, and a few bridges—the Perkins Cove Bridge, the namesake span at Footbridge Beach, and the Wharf Lane pedestrian bridge.)
- At 7:30 PM on Friday the 21st, the Ogunquit Baptist Church—literallyright next door to us here at the Colonial Inn—will host a fife-and-drum concert sure to summon via stirring soundwaves (pardon our alliteration) a little Revolution-era spirit.
- There’ll be a few historical reenactments during the Patriot’s Day Celebration, as usual, including a run-through of the Boston Tea Party in Perkins Cove at 6:30 PM on Saturday and the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima along the Marginal Way at 11 AM on Sunday.
- The Main Beach parking lot will harbor a slew of festivities both Saturday and Sunday, including a Beach Bazaar with more than 50 vendors (9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday, 11 AM to 3 PM on Sunday) and five-dollar hayrides (10 AM to 3 PM both days).
- Beginning at 12:30 PM on Sunday in the Liquid Dreams parking lot, one of the most popular Patriot’s Day events—the Patriotic Pooch Pageant & Fashion Show—gets underway. You’ll see a whole pack of dressed-up pups competing in two costume categories: “Patriotic” (reds and whites and blues, as you might imagine) and “Favorite American,” with getups inspired by icons of history and other famous folks.
- At 2 PM on Sunday, Ogunquit Performing Arts will screen a free film—with free popcorn, mind you—at the Dunaway Center: appropriately enough, The Patriot.
Come honor American history and American spirit at Ogunquit’s 27th Annual Patriot’s Day Celebration this April, and enjoy elegant accommodations at the Colonial Inn—which’ll be freshly opened for a brand-new season serving visitors to the Beautiful Place by the Sea!